This feature must be switched on for your site by Commerce Vision.
Everyone loves it when something is customised just for them. Offering relevant content through personalisation builds loyalty, strengthens customer relationships, and can drive sales.
This guide will walk you through Personalisation in the Commerce Vision CMS.
Please note that guest user behaviour is not tracked until version 4.09+. From this version onward, a guest user cookie will be added which allows guest actions to be logged and Personalisation rules to be applied.
In this guide
Please ensure that you meet the prerequisites below!
Navigate to Advanced Content → Personalisation. The Rule Maintenance page contains all personalisation rules for your site.
You can see existing rules (if you have any), or create a new rule from this screen.
For an overview of all the available rule scenarios, see our guide to Personalisation Rules.
Create a Rule
Let's say we're running a promotion on fitness equipment, and we want to target users who have these products in their Favourites / Wishlist.
- On the Personalisation - Rule Maintenance page, click Create New Rule.
- In Name, enter a meaningful name for your rule. Be descriptive - the name might help you easily locate your rule among a long list one day!
- In User Scenarios, select a scenario from the list. You can also enter a search term to filter results by keyword.
- To add the scenario, double-click the scenario or highlight it and click Add) to add it to the rule builder.
- Set the value of each variable in the scenario:
- some variables have 2 options that you can click to select (has/has not, more/less, etc.)
- other variables will have a popup where you can define the value (such as a product code, number of days, dollar amount, etc.)
- Repeat steps 3 - 5 if your rule will be built from multiple scenarios.
- Click Save or Save and Exit.
You can see an example in the video below:
Apply a Rule to a Widget
Now that our rule is created, let's personalise a widget with it. A campaign slider full of fitness products sounds good.
- Navigate to the template the widget is on (in this example, it's the home page).
- Edit the widget you want to personalise (in our case, a campaign slider).
- Select the Personalisation tab, then click Add Existing Rule.
(If you have not created the rule already, you can click Add New Rule and follow the above steps for creating a new rule).
- In the list of rules, locate the one you need and click Add.
- The rule will be added to the widget, with the default set to ON (active) upon saving. You can use the toggle to turn the rule OFF, for instance, if the rule is not to be applied straightaway.
- If you need to edit or delete the rule, hover over the Options menu (we'll cover the Schedule option later) and select the required option.
- Click Save to exit the widget. You'll see it now has a tile indicating that the widget has been personalised!
Take a look here:
Edit a Rule
You can edit a rule at any time, but be aware that any widgets with the rule applied will be affected.
- Navigate to Advanced Content → Personalisation → Rule Maintenance.
- You'll see all of your existing rules listed, as well as the number of times each has been applied to a widget.
- Note that rules applied to widgets but not toggled on are not counted.
- Click Edit on the required widget.
- Update the values in the scenario, or add and remove scenarios as needed.
- To see where the rule is in use, on the top right of the page, hover over Options and select Where It's Used.
- In the popup, you will see the locations where the rule is used.
- Clicking on the template name will take you to the template, with the personalised widget highlighted.
Schedule a Rule
You may have a widget you'd like to display to your target audience for a limited time only. This is where Scheduling comes in handy.
- With the widget open for editing, select the Personalisation tab. (If the rule you want is not already there, add it to the widget.)
- Hover on the rule's Options button and select Schedule.
- Click the Calendar icon to select a Start Date. Do the same to select the End Date.
- Click Confirm.
- A clock icon will appear on the rule to indicate that it's running on a schedule (rather than indefinitely).
Personalisation of this widget will now be in effect between the scheduled (local) times. As long at the rule is active (toggled on), the widget content will not be displayed to eligible users until the scheduled start date & time.
Active vs Inactive rules
If you've applied a rule to a widget but have not enabled it (i.e. not toggled it on), the rule will be considered inactive. Widgets with inactive rules will simply behave as normal, which means they will display as though no personalisation has been applied.
|Minimum Version Requirements|
|Third Party Costs|